Friday 9 November 2012

Supporting Laika at 21 South Street, Reading 26.2.2000

On 26th Feb 2000 we supported Laika at 21 South Street, Reading. They were touring 'Good Looking Blues'. I don't think we had much contact with them on the night, but they seemed nice enough and they were a friendly bunch. (I am rubbish for gossip aren't I)

It was a funny period for the Saloon. The massive learning curve of the first year was well-over and rather than trying to tout big labels we were very much trying to carve out our own niche on our own steam. This was the time of writing the debut album and the first rush of 7" singles, I think we flyered 'Shopping/ Song for Hugo' at this gig - which was still too late for the launch party.

Laika was the first really good band that we'd played with since Stereolab almost a year before. We obviously knew at the time it was a big gig fo us as we invited our parents (I remember my Mum and Dad were there and I  remember Mike's were as well. I remember the sound was good and I think we closed with 'My everyday silver is plastic'.

The one thing I do remember - mainly from the photos - is that this was the start of my bleach- blonde hair period. Which lasted unto the summer and was the source of much amusement to the guys at work.




Saloon: Live @ 21 South Street, Reading26.2.00Saloon: Live @ 21 South Street, Reading26.2.00Saloon: Live @ 21 South Street, Reading26.2.00Saloon: Live @ 21 South Street, Reading26.2.00Saloon: Live @ 21 South Street, Reading26.2.00Saloon: Live @ 21 South Street, Reading26.2.00
Saloon: Live @ 21 South Street, Reading26.2.00




No comments:

Post a Comment